A few weeks ago I came across Paleo Grubs ‘Creamy paleo chicken skillet’ and I knew it would be a hit from reading the ingredients. As I’m following a Paleo – Keto diet I had to modify it a little to get the right balance of carbs/ protein and fat but it’s still a tasty dish and I’ve already cooked it a number of times since!
If you want to check out the original recipe see Paleo Grubs post here. Below is my adapted recipe which is suitable for those also on a keto (and/or) Paleo diet. If you’re not on any kind of diet you NEED to try this dish! It is so yummy you’ll want to lick the plate. It doesn’t have any spices – except a little black pepper – but the flavours are so rich it really doesn’t need it (which is saying something as I am a total spice monster!).
Sorry to repeat, but to clarify to those who are (like me) carefully counting and measuring nutrients this ingredients list is suitable for a ketogenic and low carb diet. If you’re not following these diets then you can increase the amount of chicken, vegetables and coconut milk that you use – go crazy!
The serving size will depend on if you are following a ketogenic or low carb diet and what you are eating with it. I personally get 3 portion sizes out of the amounts used above and usually have mine with Cauli-rice. If my husband eats this with rice he will have one portion. If eating it on its own he’ll have 2 servings.
3 Slices bacon
220g Chicken breasts diced
95g Yellow onion diced
75g Red bell pepper – sliced
75g Yellow bell pepper – sliced
1/2 Small courgette diced
220g Coconut milk (you can use more – a whole can if you wish)
50g Fresh kale (chopped)
1/2 tsp Pink himalayan salt (optional)
1/2 tsp Black pepper
Serving approx 2 – 4*
*See notes above for serving size
- Cook bacon in its fat until crispy then remove from the pan (place in a dish ready to re-add later)
- Add onion to the fat in the pan and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Once soft add the onions to the bowl with the bacon ready to use later
- Cook the chicken until browned, add in peppers and cook until they soften
- Add in the cooked onions and bacon and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Add coconut milk and kale and cook until the kale has softened (3-4 minutes)
- Season with Salt and pepper and serve
I serve mine with steamed Pak-choi or Cauli-rice but you could also use zoodles or spaghetti squash or normal rice for non-paleo eaters.