A wheat free, gluten free, dairy free (Paleo) and Ketogenic quiche – super tasty and versatile. Easily adapted to include whatever ingredients you want.
225g Almond flour
1 Large egg
42g Shortening or coconut oil
1/2 tsp Salt
15g Finely chopped onion
5 Large eggs
1/2 tsp Black pepper
50ml Coconut milk (carton kind)
Makes 4-6 slices
Pastry base – when making the base try to make sure the sides are as high as possible, because once it cooks the pastry shrinks making the sides lower. This will affect how much liquid/ filling you can add (the liquid will over flow and run over any edges that are too low). Also make sure the bottom of the base isn’t too thick, or you’ll be left with a soggy bottom!
Getting the pastry into the pan – I rolled my pasty out between two pieces of baking paper until it was about 1/2 inch bigger than the pan. I then flipped the pastry into the pan and used my fingers to mould the base and edges up the side of the pan.
Kale – I used frozen kale as you don’t have to cook it. I also remove the thick stems of the kale leaf because I don’t like the texture in it.
Broccoli – I cut most of the stems off the broccoli, again because I don’t like the texture of them in the quiche. You can also use frozen broccoli (defrost before adding) and no need to pre cook.
Onion – you can use red onion or even spring onion, finely chopped – it all depends on your preference.
- Preheat oven to 190′
- In a food processor pulse the almond flour with the salt. When combined add in the egg, shortening and onion. Blend until it forms a dough like ball then remove,ready to shape.
- Press the dough into a metal tin (with a removable bottom). Try to make the edges of the dough reach the top of the pan/ sides and make sure the base isn’t too thick.
- Place in the oven 15 minutes
- In a saucepan steam the broccoli and kale for approx 4 minutes. While cooking, dice the onion and place aside.
- In a frying pan fry the bacon until it’s crispy. When cooked placed aside in some kitchen paper to absorb the excess fat.
- Remove the base from the metal tin, place on a metal rack and return to the oven for 5-8 minutes. This will help cook the bottom of the base and crisp the pastry so it has a short crust texture.
- When the base has cooked place aside ready to fill.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add in the milk. Whisk until bubbly and add in the black pepper.
- Add the broccoli, kale, bacon and onion into the egg mixture then pour into the base.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- When cooked serve and enjoy
Based on 4 servings
7.7g Carbs (NET)